Semtech Enables 5G Wireless Segments at Distances from 10m to 20km
ClearEdge® CDRs with integrated drivers, TIAs and ROSAs to enable best-in-class 5G modules
SAN DIEGO at OFC 2019., Mar. 4, 2019 – Semtech Corporation (Nasdaq: SMTC), a leading supplier of high-performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, today announced immediate availability of its complete IC portfolio, ClearEdge® and FiberEdge™, optimized for optical transceivers serving 5G wireless applications.
“Semtech is one of the leading suppliers of ICs for Optical Transceivers used in 4G wireless applications and we now look forward to playing a leading role in enabling 5G. It is our mission to help customers succeed with highly innovative products for this emerging market,” said Gary Beauchamp, Executive Vice President and General Manager for Semtech’s Signal Integrity Products Group. “Our complete portfolio of ICs deliver best-in-class technical performance and commercial value and will enable the wide range of optical transceivers needed in 5G deployments.”
The unprecedented and strategic nature of 5G has come into sharp focus in recent months and 5G deployments are expected to accelerate throughout 2019. Apart from being faster and more reliable, 5G wireless networks are transforming how devices connect to the Internet and with each other. 5G enables key markets such as virtual reality, autonomous vehicles, Internet of Things (IoT), and other applications requiring high throughput, massive network connectivity and ultra-low-latency for real-time operations. With higher amounts of mobile data, 5G wireless networks require higher speed wired interconnect. Key components of these wireline networks are optical transceiver modules capable of supporting industrial temperature range for distances starting from 10m to over 20km.
Semtech helped launch flagship 5G deployments with its ClearEdge platform (GN2139C CDR) and is now delivering integrated PHY/PMD solutions. This technology enables module vendors to develop more fully optimized next gen optical transceivers.
“We believe WDM will be an important segment for 5G in Korea and Japan, while Tunable and DML based modules will be critical for China market. Europe and North America will utilize existing wireless architecture that requires multi-mode fiber optical modules. We look forward to supporting our customers today and tomorrow with a highly differentiated IC portfolio,” said Dr. Timothy Vang, VP of Marketing and Applications for Semtech’s Signal Integrity Products Group.
Semtech’s 5G wireless portfolio includes:
ClearEdge CDR GN2139C
- ClearEdge GN2139C is a bi-directional CDR
- Used in applications such as 5G wireless 300m / 10km / 20km modules
- 24-26.5Gb/s and i-Temp support
- 3.5mm x 5.5mm CSP package
- Low power of <100mW / lane to enable <1W module
- Excellent input jitter tolerance and output jitter performance
ClearEdge CDR GN2148 / 49
- ClearEdge GN2148 is a CDR with VCSEL laser driver
- ClearEdge GN2149 is a CDR with TIA
- The GN2148 and GN2149 are available in compact 1.2mm x 2.9mm die size – and consume less than 200mW total power each respectively
- Semtech’s integrated chipset employs proprietary VCSEL compensation technology to enable low bandwidth VCSELs and extended reach beyond 150m OM3 fiber
- The chipset supports data rates from 24.0Gb/s to 28.1Gb/s to enable a wide range of applications
ClearEdge CDR GN2142
- ClearEdge GN2142 is a bi-directional CDR with DML laser driver
- Used in applications such as 5G wireless 300m and 10km LR modules
- Extended data rate (24.0Gb/s to 28.1Gb/s) and i-Temp support
- Enables <1W total module power when paired with Semtech’s GN1086
- Small die size of 3.20mm x 2.01mm 33-ball WLCSP package with a 0.4mm pitch
- Adaptive CTLE to improve link robustness
ClearEdge CDR GN2146
- ClearEdge GN2146 is a bi-directional CDR with EML / MZM laser driver
- Used in applications such as 5G wireless 10km and 20km DWDM / Tunable modules
- Extended data date (24.0Gb/s to 28.1Gb/s) and i-Temp support
- Small die size of 5mm x 4mm with Integrated Bias-T components for easier Layout
- Adaptive CTLE to improve link robustness
- FiberEdge GN1086 is a low power, high performance 24-28Gb/s TIA
- Low power of 95mW typical – enables <1W module when paired with GN2142
- Industry’s best performance with PIN and APD – 1.25uArms noise and 3mApp overload
- RSSI support and i-temp
- Small die size of 1.52mm x 1.1mm
- GN3272 is a low power, high performance PIN ROSA in a TO-46 style co-axial package
- 95mW typical power enables <1W module power when paired with ClearEdge CDR GN2142
- Industry’s best sensitivity and RF stability
- Operating temperature range -40°C to 90°C
About Semtech’s Optical Products
Semtech’s optical networking product platforms provide high-performance signal integrity for optical module solutions used by leading companies in the data center/enterprise networking, wireless infrastructure and passive optical network/Fiber to the X markets. For more information, visit https://fr.semtech.com/products/signal-integrity.
Semtech Corporation is a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms for high-end consumer, enterprise computing, communications, and industrial equipment. Products are designed to benefit the engineering community as well as the global community. The Company is dedicated to reducing the impact it, and its products, have on the environment. Internal green programs seek to reduce waste through material and manufacturing control, use of green technology and designing for resource reduction. Publicly traded since 1967, Semtech is listed on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol SMTC. For more information, visit www.semtech.com.
Forward-Looking and Cautionary Statements
All statements contained herein that are not statements of historical fact, including statements that use the words “will,” “expected to,” “designed to,” or other similar words or expressions, that describe Semtech Corporation’s or its management’s future plans, objectives or goals are “forward-looking statements” and are made pursuant to the Safe-Harbor provisions of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995, as amended. Such forward-looking statements involve known and unknown risks, uncertainties and other factors that could cause the actual results of Semtech Corporation to be materially different from the historical results and/or from any future results or outcomes expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. Such factors are further addressed in Semtech Corporation’s annual and quarterly reports, and in other documents or reports, filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (www.sec.gov) including, without limitation, information under the captions “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” and “Risk Factors.” Semtech Corporation assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking statements in order to reflect events or circumstances that may arise after the date of this release, except as required by law.
Semtech, the Semtech logo and ClearEdge are registered trademarks or service marks, and FiberEdge is a trademark or service mark, of Semtech Corporation or its affiliates.